FOR U.S. NAVY
AN HISTORIC OCCASION
History was made at the shipyards of Seagar Bros., Ltd., this morning, when for the first time in New Zealand a Wartime vessel was launched ready for use. As the vessel hit the water a puff of blue smoke indicated that the Diesel engines were in operation and the snip swung round under its own power as tugs stood by to give assistance should it be required. Despite the squally weather the launching was without unusual incident. Named the "U.S.S. YF 1040," the vessel was the eighth of a series built in Auckland by Seagar Bros, Ltd., and Shipbuilders, Ltd., for the U.S. Navy. These powered lighters are 114 ft long and are fitted with twin Diesel motors, each of 272 horse power. The YF 1040 was dedicated by Canon H. K. Vickery, port chaplain, in the presence of a large gathering, and was named by Mrs. S. B. Williams, wife of the manager of Shipbuilders, Ltd. Lieutenant - Commander A. C. Bushey, U.S. Navy, referred to the splendid service which the lighters built in Auckland were giving in the advanced areas in the Pacific and he congratulated the builders and workmen oh their efforts. Two other Vessels, he said, would be added to the series in the future. Mr. H. S. Seagar mentioned that New Zealand was becoming known for. its Shipbuilding. The next vessel of the same type would be completed in about two months' time. The band of the Institute for the Blilid played the National Anthem ahd the United States anthem as well as hymhal music for the occasion.
Permanent link to this item
FOR U.S. NAVY, Auckland Star, Volume LXXVI, Issue 165, 14 July 1945
FOR U.S. NAVY Auckland Star, Volume LXXVI, Issue 165, 14 July 1945
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Auckland Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence . This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Auckland Libraries.