USE OF CORNWALL, PARK
The Government proposal to acquire, the former "site ,of the Maungakiekie Golf Club's clubhouse and surrounding ground as a home for blinded ex-servicemen has resulted in strenuous protests being made by the Cornwall Park trustees. The chairman of trustees, Sir James H. Gunson, said that these protests were made on a number of occasions and, as late as August 28, the trustees communicated to the Government certain resolutions passed by them relating to the proposed legislation compulsorily taking a portion of the nark, at present used by the United States Army hospital authorities, for 15 years after the war.
It has been pointed out that in June, 1942, an undertaking was given that the area would not be used for other than war purposes.
The area, or any other portion of the land, is held under gift from the late Sir John Logan Campbell in perpetuity as a place of public recreation and enjoyment for the people, and it is felt that the only purposes it should be appropriated for are those described in the deed of gift, accepted in Auckland in 1901 by the Duke of Cornwall and York on behalf of the people of New Zealand from the hand of Sir John Logan Campbell.
Permanent link to this item
TRUSTEES PROTEST, Auckland Star, Volume LXXV, Issue 240, 10 October 1944
TRUSTEES PROTEST Auckland Star, Volume LXXV, Issue 240, 10 October 1944
Using This Item
Fairfax Media is the copyright owner for the Auckland Star. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence . This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Fairfax Media. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.
This newspaper was digitised in partnership with Auckland Libraries.