Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image


HOW ACCIDENT HAPPENED. THE INQUEST HELD. "ACCIDENTAL DEATH," SAYS CORONER. "A most distressing case." said 3lr. F. K. Hunt, S.M., this morning when he held, an inquiry into the circumstances touching the death of the late Constable Begg. who was killed in the Parnell tunnel yesterday while engaged in the search for tho escaped prisoner. Sprgpant Michael -Joseph Angland, identified the dead man. He was 20 years of age, said the sergeant, and joined the Auckland police force in October last. He had no relatives in New Zealand, and had served five years in the Olasgow Police. His parents lived in Scotland. Relating the circumstances of the search for the escaped prisoner in the Parnell tunnel, Sergeant Ang-land said that deceased was a ineml)er of the search party. When the five men entered the tunnel it was quite clear. There were two sets of rails in the tunnel. When the party was about two-thirds of the way through, a train from the city entered on the left hand set of rails. While this .train was passing , the men, another train entered from the Newmarket end. Witness shouted a warning to the others, and he lay flat on his stomach in the water channel till the train passed. When the train had passed. Constable Hook told witness that someone had been knocked out. They found that one of the passing trains had knocked down deceased. He was severely injured and was unconscious. They carried him out of the Newmarket end of the tunnel and took him at once to the hospital where he died. The Accident. Constable Hook told the Court just how the accident happened. Just as the train from Auckland was passing the party in the tunnel, another train rushed in from the Newmarket end. Dec-eased was on thp Newmarket side of witness. Witness railed out "stand back," but deceased did not hear him because of the noise of the passing train. Deceased was about four yards from witness. He saw Sergeant Angland lie down close to the wall. He saw deceased still standing on the line watching the passing train. Witness again called out, but the smokewas then just obscuring deceased. \\ itness then jumped close , to the wall. When he was standing close up against the wall, deceased was thrown against witness by the engine. Witness was swung round, was struck by a passing carriage, but was not hurt. Deceased had a severe wound at the back of his head, a broken wrist, a lacerated leg and bruises on the chest. The Verdict. The coroner returned a verdict that: "Adam George Bpgg died at the Auckland Hospital on February 23 as the result of injuries received through being accidentally thrown down by a passing train in the Parnell tunnel, when he was in the execution of his duty."

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

Auckland Star, Auckland Star, Volume LVII, Issue 46, 24 February 1926

Word Count

THE TUNNEL TRAGEDY. Auckland Star, Volume LVII, Issue 46, 24 February 1926