Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.



An interesting and eventful trip on a motor car from Auckland to Wellington, via Taranaki, has just been concluded by Messrs W. Gardiner, J. Hall, and F. G. Turner, all residents of the Northern capital. The party were favoured by fine weather at the start, but thunderstorms and various causes contributing to delay were encountered, but there were no serious mishaps, and the motorists suffered little beyond ordinary inconveniences incidental to a novel excursion. Moreover, they agree in saying the magnificent scenery along the route, especially in the Mokau country, fully compensated them for any mischances of the journey. The three gentlemen left Auckland on Tuesday, March 9, and arrived at Cambridge in due course, where they stopped a couple of days to see the A. and P. Show. Then they proceeded to the Waitomo Caves, where a short stay wa3 made. They informed a Wellington Pressman that the accommodation was very comfortable. The Government are putting up a large accommodation house which should be ready for occupation in a few months. The travellers proceeded leisurely to Tc Kuiti, thence over the ranges to the Mokau country. It was after leaving Te Kuiti that their troubles commenced, for they had no sooner departed than the rain began to fall, quickly transforming th e hitherto passable roads into something approaching a quagmire. Stony Creek, almost the only unbridged waterway on the route, was successfully negotiated, and then an extremely dense fog was encountered late on the Saturday afternoon. It was so thick that the members of the party were unable to see more than a yard ahead, thus causing great delay. They were going down hill, and could only go at a crawling pace on account of the great danger of falling over the banks. Awakino was reached at 10 p.m., and a few hours afterwards a heavy thunderstorm came and lasted ail Sunday, forcing the motorists to remain indoors. Monday broke bright and clear, and the party motored a few miles along the coast, viewing scenery, fringes of bush and beaches, of exceptional heauty. Where the beach road ended more difficulties were experienced, as it was impossible to motor over soft sand. Boards under the wheels were called into requisition, and very slowly the car managed to get over the bad portions. Mokau was reached the same evening, Tongaporutu ferry was safely crossed, and, on excellent roads, good progress was made to Waitara. The latter town was no sooner left behind than another thunderstorm burst upon the travellers, and in a moment they were drenched to the skin. A bush camp was soon sighted, at which the shivering wayfarers were hospitably treated, and, after a change of apparel, the journey was resumed, the storm having gone as suddenly as it came. There were still further misadventures in store, for they had traversed but a mile or so when they ran on to a patch of road top-dressed with clay, and the car simply stuck fast in the mud. About two hours were occupied in extricating it, this being done by jacking the car on to timber slabs. Muddy and travel-stained, the party arrived at New Plymouth, and enjoyed a well-earned rest. The -car was cleaned and overhauled, and the three gentlemen came on to Wellington by easy stages, none the worse for their adventures.

They intend leaving, via the Bimivtakas, for Napier, at which port the party will take ship for Auckland.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

A MOTOR TRIP., Auckland Star, Volume XL, Issue 74, 27 March 1909

Word Count

A MOTOR TRIP. Auckland Star, Volume XL, Issue 74, 27 March 1909