DEATH OF DR. KILGOUR.
Dr. James Kilgour, M.D., M.R.C.S. (Edinburgh), died yesterday at the ad. vanced age of 85 years, at his residenceParnell. During the past few weeks Dr, Kilgour showed signs of failing health, so that his decease will scarcely be a surprise to his many friends. The deceased was an old resident in this colony and was highly esteemed by all who knew him. He was1 the son of Dr. M. M. Kilgour, and a native of Scotland, having been born at " Musselbnrgii on Christmas Day, ISI2. He passed through the local Grammar School and completed his studies at the Edinburgh University, obtaining the degree of M.D. in 1838." The following year Dr. Kilgour went to Mel*; bourne, which town at that time consisted of about 20 habitations. He leased the Tarrone Station near Port Fairy, but soon afterwards went to London as agent for Victoria. Dr. Kilgonr subsequently lost £GO,OOO worth of property in Australia owing to the unjust laws under which stations were at that time held, and.for some years afterwards he practised as a doctor'in Victoria. In 1559 Dr. Kilgour came to Nelson, in New Zealand. kater on he settled at Picton, and then migrated to Wellington, where he remained until 1869 when he came to the Thames goldtield, where he resided for upwards oi twenty years, and held positions as mayor, coronor, J.P., chairman of quarter sessions and was also chosen as the first president of the Thames School of Mines. He also tilled the position of Surgeon-Major of tne Thames Scottish Volunteers. InlS9oi|r. Kilgour practically retired and came tc reside in Parnell. He took a keen interest in public questions, and was a member o< the National Association.