ST. SAVIOUR'S. ORPHANAGE.
BIG BUILDING SCHEME.
Mr Henry Righton, Organising Secretary of St . Saviour's Orphanage building fund, is visiting Akaroa and district in the interests of the fund, and is staying with Rev. A. H. Julius at the Vicarage. He preached at St. Peter's on Sunday. morning, taking as his text, "They brought young children to Him that he should touch them," and again in the evening, his text then being, "Feed My Lambs." The inclemency of the weather materially affected the attendances at the services, besides which a failure
of the electric light created a
difficulty which was not easily overcome. In spite of these untoward circumstances much interest was awakened in the minds of those present by the account given of the past work done in the Orphanage, and of the plans for the future.
It appears that the Home as now arranged can only accommodate forty children, whilst the number of inmates, with the staff, is sixty, so that there is very serious overcrowding. The building is also not at all suitable as an orphanage, as it was design ed for a different purpose, that purpose being as a Female Refuge. The history of that work with its conclusion was lightly touched uponh by _Mr Righton, and then he described how an inspection of the present buildings by a Government official revealed the three facts which caused them to be emphatically condemned; namely the overcrowding, danger of an outbreak of fire, and the intermixing of the sexes. An understanding was thereupon given bj Bishop Julius to the secretary for Education that, as , speedily as possible, the Orphanage would be rebuilt, and it is in connection with the rebuilding and extension scheme that Mr Righton is now in Akaroa.
We understand that the cost of the scheme will be £20,000, a great sum to be raised in these days of patriotic funds, war taxation, and increased cost of living. The scheme however is on a large scale, embracing as it does provision for every orphani child of the Church of England in the 63 parishes of the diocese of Christchurch, the establishment of a separate boy's orphanage at Timaru, and the admission of a certain number of the children of men who fall in the war.
Applications for admission are continually being received now, and of necessity deferred, no less than fifteen applications being received recently in two days.
The canvass has extended as yet over about a third of the diocese with the result that the ■ sum of £8500 has been secured, on the plan of a subscription for three years. Okain's Bay and district gave Mr Righton £340, and Pigeon Bay and Port Levy gave £510. In the latter case two cots in the Orphanage were founded at the cost of £100 each, and in the former case one. We learn that at the time of writing Mr Righton has secured the promise of one Founder's cot in Akaroa, the donor being His Worship the Mayor, and we doubt not that in his canvass from house to house our visitor, in his presentation of the needs of the orphaned and destitute children in our midst, will have a sympathetic hearing and generous support.
Permanent link to this item
ST. SAVIOUR'S. ORPHANAGE., Akaroa Mail and Banks Peninsula Advertiser, Volume LXXV, Issue 3541, 2 May 1916
ST. SAVIOUR'S. ORPHANAGE. Akaroa Mail and Banks Peninsula Advertiser, Volume LXXV, Issue 3541, 2 May 1916
Using This Item
Akaroa Mail Co is the copyright owner for the Akaroa Mail. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence . This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Akaroa Mail Co. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.