There passed away at Wellington on tbe 12th inst. one of the very early pioneers of Akaroa in the person of Mrs Wascoe, late Mrs Haylock, at the ripe old age of 93 years. With her husband, Charles Lagden Haylock, abe arrived at Akaroa in tbe barque Monarch in the year 1850, ten months prior to tbe arrival of those ships known as the " First Four," in the harbour of Psrt Lyttelton. Her busband at that date set to work and built the Greban floor mill, which was the first to be erected in Canterbury. Tbis mill was situated at Akaroa on the road that now bearß itß name. Mr Haylock's family, at tbat early p-riod, consisted of several sons. These, as ia well known, made tbeir homes on the Peninsula, reared large families, who now, though scat tered in various parts of the Dominion, carry on the work of colonisation, so well founded by their parents under conditions tbat were many times ex .remely difficult and hazardous. To a great many she would be better known by her second married name of Wascoe, but in either case bar memory would be endeared to early settlers and others by the ever ready helping band that was so cheerfully held out to assist. It was looked upon as a great treat by many to sit and listen to ber recount the early experiences, and though fraught at times with considerable danger, yet, at others gave rise to many a hearty laugh. Two sons now survive her, Mr Harry Haylock, of Akaroa, and Mr Arthur L. Haylock, of tbe Lands and Survey Department, Wellington.
Permanent link to this item
OBITUARY., Akaroa Mail and Banks Peninsula Advertiser, Volume LXXIV, Issue 3451, 20 April 1915