LOCAL AND GENERAL.
AjcAßoi. Codnty CouNcir,.—The Akaroa Count- CO' noil meet at Duvauchella on Saturday, Peuember 20, $t pual hour and claoe.
N,Z Bailwats—For train arrangements [or December IG'.h (Anniversary Day) and the Xtnas and New i'ear holiday excursion farfg see advertisements elsewhere. 'Ak.iroa Asn Waikdi Upap Bcunn.— Tbe monthly meeting of this Board wiil oe held it Duvauchelle tomorrow. Peninsula Horse Show and Pastoral Association,—A meeting of the committee of ihe above Association will be held in the Council Chambers on Saturday, December 13th (tomorrow) at 2 p,m.
Akaroa Post Office.— From the Ist prox., the usual rental for a private box at the Akaroa • post office is payable by a person residing at a place where there is a letter earner's delivery, but outside the delivery the rental is to be ha[f the ordinary rate.
Akaroa Covet.—At a sitting of the Akaroa Court on Wfdnesday, before Messrs G. Armstrong and C Frederuksen, Js.P., judgment was given plaintiff wilh costs in the case F. J. Hill v. R. Paurini, claim £10 53 lidThe Magistrate will not pay hia usual visit to Akaroa this month.
Akaroa Hobticcltural Society.—A meet- , ing of tbe above society will be held at the &.karoa Borough Council Chambers on Mon' day next, ad 7 HO p,m., when arrangements will b9 made for the society's summer show. Tennis,—A match has been arrang d for Saturday next, to be played on the Akaroa tennis courts, between teams representing ■ the Akaroa and Lomain Clubs. The fo ! low-1 ing team will play for Akaroa:—Misses F. and L. Vangioni, E. Jacobeorj, I. Taylor, D. Hayward, L. Lelievre, Me-srs Pochin, B, Bruce, Hill and Menzies. There will be a general afternoon tea, and any player unable to play ia aeked tn notify the hon. sec. at once. The following team will play for the Domain : -Mra W. • 001, Misses C, Narbey, N. and M. Haylock, N. McNab, P. Ham' mond, Messrs Crawßhaw, Shearwood, T. McGuire and h. Haylock, Play commences at 1.30 p m.
First Issue of the " Mail." —The first
files of the " Akaroa Mail," which are now very rare, as the complete files were burned in Iks first "Mail" Office fire on Beach rr-nd, Akaroa, and another complete file at the office ifire in Jolie Street in 1907, The Akaroa Borough Council, however, hold a complete file of the first "Akaroa Mails" from July 21, 1870, when the first issue appeared to January 1, 1877. The file is in a good state of preset vation, and is kept in the safe ftt the Borough Offices, A peru al o! the old files shows that )6 contains many items of interest, and we have noted several items elsewhere which are of interest.
Valedictory.—On Tuesday evening tbe members of the Akaroa Presbyterian Sunday School teachers staff and choir assembled at Mr A, B. Monro's residence; in beach road to say good-bye to Miss Maud Munro, who is leaving the district to take up a position at Methven. During the evening, the combined ohoir and Sunday School tea hers 1 staffs made a presentation to Miss Monro of a dress case and hand bag as a mark of esteem for the many years' service of Miss Munro as a member of the choir and the teaching staff. Rev. J. W. Hay ward and MessH Lewitt and Dodds. spoke, and wished Miss Munro every success in her new sphere of life, A very pleasant evening was spent. Miss Munro left Akaroa yesterday tnorniDg on her way to Methven. Somerset House.—The first edition of the " Akaroa Mail " in 1876 records the opening of the new Somerset House at the Head of the Bay about a week previous to the issue of the paper. A long account is given of the opening ceremony, which was celebrated with all pomp and ceremony, and Mr B. Shadbolt, the proprietor of the new house was showered with congratulations. There were forty people present at the opening, which unfortunately was held; in very inclement weather. Mr H. Ei Buchanan, MP.C, occupied the chair, supported by Mr B. Shadboit, while Mr George Scarborough acted as vice chairman. * St. Peter's Chcrcii —The first edition of the Akaroa Mail on July 21, 1870. printed and published by Joseph lyase, Beach road, Akaroa, records the completion of the present St. Peter's Church Vicarage at Akaroa and the following record Of the meeting of the Vestry which was held on Saturday, July 15, 1876, is of interest:—"A special meeting of St. Peter's Church Vestry, was held on Satun day, July 15th, 1876, at the Parsonage, the object of the meeting being to inspect the new building which the contractor had finished during the week. There were present the Rev, W. Henry Cooper (incumbent), Messrs G. Saxton and H. H.Fenton (church wardens), and Messrs T. f ! . Baker and H. T. Worsley (vestrymen). After the inspection of the place, and a general expression of ap. proval given as to manner in which the work was carried out, Mr Fentou was requested to write to the Score ary of the Church Propi erty Trustees informing him that the parson,, age was completed, and askiDg how to proceed in iaking it over from the contrac tor, and also if it would be necessary to send anyone from Christchurch to inspect the buiiding on behalf of the trustees. It was agreed to insure the building for £500 in the National Fire and Marine Insurance Com. pany, of which Mr T. Adams is the agent." It is also interesting to note that in the fame year the transept of St. Peter's Church, 36ft. x 18ft. was erected.
Permanent link to this item
LOCAL AND GENERAL., Akaroa Mail and Banks Peninsula Advertiser, Volume LXXI, Issue 4357, 12 December 1913
LOCAL AND GENERAL. Akaroa Mail and Banks Peninsula Advertiser, Volume LXXI, Issue 4357, 12 December 1913
Using This Item
Akaroa Mail Co is the copyright owner for the Akaroa Mail. You can reproduce in-copyright material from this newspaper for non-commercial use under a Creative Commons New Zealand BY-NC-SA licence . This newspaper is not available for commercial use without the consent of Akaroa Mail Co. For advice on reproduction of out-of-copyright material from this newspaper, please refer to the Copyright guide.