CHRISTCHURCH DAY BY DAY.
During January 169 operations were performed in the dental department of the Christchurch Hospital, and—the total number of. attendances was 212. There were 43 new patients.
Although the commodious Government buildings ,in •. Worcester Street have been finished and in use f oiv a considerable'period, the offices are by no means fully occupied, and many Christchurch offices of Government departments are still scattered about the city.
At the Magistrate's Court yesterday morning, before Mr T. A. B. Bailey, S.M., Cla'udo Lewis pleaded not guilty to charges of riding a motor-cycle without horn or bell, without a silencer on the machine, and for riding it without a driver's certificate. On the latter two charges a fine of 10s and costs was imposed.
Minor alterations at the railway station are approaching completion. Since tho traffic manager and staff shifted to their new quarters the public telegraph office has been removed to the bookstall, and the stationmaster, traffic inspector, and foreman have shifted their quarters into the offices vacated. Formerly there were two entrances to the - platform, one on either side" of the bookstall, but they have been closed. The bookstall and telegraph offico have been moved a little further west,. and one big entrance, divided by an iron railing, has been made. The extra room obtained by doing away with tho second entrance has enabled a much-needed extension to be made to'the parcels office.
Permanent link to this item
Ashburton Guardian, Ashburton Guardian, Volume XXXIII, Issue 8803, 26 February 1914
THE CITY. Ashburton Guardian, Volume XXXIII, Issue 8803, 26 February 1914
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.