Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.




AUCKLAND, February 20. Some excitement was' created on the waterfront early this evening by what is described as a fierce attack made toy a member of the old Waterside Workers' Union upon three; members or the executive of the present Waterside Workers' Union. The Union has received about 150 further applications tor membership, and it has been decided to select' 50 of the men for admission to the Union. This selection has not been completed, and a meeting for the -examination of the men seeking to be admitted was held this evening in the Waterside Workers' Union office, which is situated on the waterfront to the westward of the Queen's Whart. The examination was conducted by Messrs G.! Wood (president of the Union), S. Rickards (secretary) and J. Miller (a member of the executive). The meeting was concluded about 7.30 p.m. and the three officials then left the office. As they did so an attack was made =on them with a claspknife by a disappointed applicant tor membership. Mr Miller, who was the first to step out of the office, had no sooner reached the footpath than he was attacked by a man who had evidently been awaiting the conclusion of the meeting. He struck two blows with a knife at Mr Miller's back. One of the blows failed to take any effect, but the other inflicted a small surface wound about half, an inch in length in the middle of the back. Mr Rickards, who was close behind Mr Miller, was the next to receive attention. The man made a lunge'at him- but Mr Rickards, to use his own words, promptly "ducked" and placed a few yards between himself arid his assailant. Mr Wood, who was. standing" on the doorstep, was not aware at the time that the man was using a knife and he stood his ground. He warded off a blow with his left arm, his coat sleev-v being pierced by the point of tue knife. " Just then Mr Rickards called out, "Look out! He has a knife." Mr Wood stepped out of the way.. As he did so the man held up his knife in a threatening attitude, exclaiming, "You won't deprive me of getting my livelihood." He also is stated to have used abusive language. A crowd quickly collected in front of the building and Mr Wood made his way to the Water Police office and returned with Detective Gourlay. By this time the man who made the attack on the-offi-cials was making his way into Queen Street, and he was arrested by the detective. He gave his name as Harry Magnusson and is a middle-aged Swede. During the evening, when Mr Miller went outside the office with the object of regulating the crowd of men who had assembled, he was seized by three or four ,men • who, it is stated, threatened to throw him over the wharf. He, however, managed to get away unhurt.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

MAN WITH A KNIFE., Ashburton Guardian, Volume XXXIII, Issue 8800, 21 February 1914

Word Count

MAN WITH A KNIFE. Ashburton Guardian, Volume XXXIII, Issue 8800, 21 February 1914