London Bridge, the dhly tie that bound the city to the borough of S'outhwark for so many hundreds 6f years, was 92& feeV long, 60 feet high, and 40 feet broad, anil was builc of stone upon |)iles befcweeti the years 1176 and 1209. .ft was covered .with houses on both sides," making a cbrftinuous street, and there is nothing within the memory of man to liken it to but the Ponte Vecchio m Florence, says Harper's Weekly. The ninth pier, which ■ was almost m the centre of the bridge, contained a chapel dedicated to St. Thomas, of Canterbury. 'There were > twenty arches m all, of various sizes, and; the rush of water through them, especially afchigh tide, rendered " the shooting of thus bridge " so dangerous that an old proverb bays it "was made' for wise men to"gt>' over and fools to 'go under." Mftny;oC the fools who went under went down^ never to come up again. * N' ■ • ■ The tower to be seen on the Southwarirend of the bridge was bailt m the reign of Elizabeth, as was Nonesuch House, con-j sidered a great wonder m its time, * hag* wooden pile, four storeys high; with* cupolas and turrets at each corner, and' erected with wooden pegs instead of nails." It stood over the seventh and eight arches on the north side of the drawbridge, (and ;is it enme from Holland, like VisAcher' himself, it is strange that he did riot call attention to it by lettering m his'plan; • More historical interest 'centres aboufc this Old London Bridge almost than tvbout any other spot of its size m the world. The 'first decapitated head of historical value it held was that of the Scottish hero William Wallace ; the second was that of Simon Fraser. Wat- Tyler and his tierco band of Kentish and Surrey mcii crowded'it to enter London m the troublous reign of' Richard II; m 1407-8 the head of f Henry Percy, Knrl of Northumberland, wftfthddtid to its ghastly collection ; m 1415 Henry V. entered London from Agincourt over London Bridge with his long train of French captives ; seven years later his body was carried along the same highway from Vincennes to Westminster Abbey ; Jack Cade crossed it m 1450, and left his head for its adornment. The heads of Bishop Fisher and Th.mas More were placed therein 1535; the former kept until the good Anne Boleyn could see it, and the latter, according to tradition, stolen by jhis devoted daughter (Margaret Roper), fw»3 long after' buried with him m a chapel adjoining "St. Dunstaii's, Canterbury. Holbein is said to have lived on London Bridge, and long is the list .of British worthies whose feet have pressed it. It was not removed entirely until 1825, when the new bridge was.erected. Ila little higher up the river. There are' excellent views of old London Bridge by Norden, by Hollar, by Vertue, and by, Boydell, and Hogarth has introduced fain its decay m his " Marriage a la Mode* < •
Permanent link to this item
London Bridge., Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2545, 16 October 1890
London Bridge. Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2545, 16 October 1890
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.