Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


[per press association] I EFFORTS TO CONCLUDE THE j STRIKES. { (Received August 30, 1.15 p.mi) Sydney, August 30. The Mayor commenced negotiations for bringing the strike to a conclusion. Non-Union laborers are m excess of demand. Newcastle, August 30. The miners are dissatisfied at the action of the Trades and Labor Council, and they think that since they have been callled out they ought to have received better support from the Council. i A meeting is to be held to-day to consider the matter. Brisbane, August 30. Affairs m connection with the strikes are quiet. Melbourne, August 30. The city was left without gas last night, the Gas Company being desirous of saving what gas they had for tonight. Government have issued a proclamation forbidding unlawful assemblies m the Trades Hall. The Trades and Labor Council rej fused to hold a conference with ship owners owing to the latter's stipulation I that officers should withdraw from affiliation. Adelaide, August 30. The Chamber of Commerce telegraphed to Sydney, Melbourne, and Brisbane Chambers asking them to take united action m urging respective Governments to establish Boards of Conciliation. j The Sydney Chambers have replied deprecating undue haste m the matter. Auckland, August 30. The Pukaki's crew, who struck, were replaced by eight firemen and two deck hands. The vessel left for Russell and Fiji early this morning, she will however be blocked at Russell, for die Buy of Islands coal miners have refused to work coal for any vessel manned by non-Union or blackleg labor. The first and second officer of the Pukaki, who left, state they did not do so because of any Unionist call, but because they consider the non-Union crews shipped were not competent, and the ship was not fit to proceed to. sea, manned as she was. Officers of the Waihora and Pukaki state they did not wire a declaration to remain m vessels to Dunedin, but informed the local agent that they would take ships to head-quarters, provided they had competent crews. The Waihora's crew struck m a body this morning, and left the vessel at Queen street wharf. A non-Union crew were being shipped to-day. The steamer leaves for the south at five this evening if practicable. There has been no disturbance. Things pass off very quietly. Christchurch, August 30. The officers of the Wakatipu, Colac, Tekapo, Dingadee, and Takapuna left the vessels at 1 p.m. to-day. The Union Company state they can at once fill the places. A meeting of farmers resolved to supply continuous labor while the trouble lasts.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

LABOR QUESTIONS., Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2505, 30 August 1890

Word Count

LABOR QUESTIONS. Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2505, 30 August 1890