Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


The officers of the gunboat Redpole have arrived at Colombo from Bombay, and report a somewhat exciting experience. The : Redpole, a new gunboat of 805 tons and 1200 horse-power, was built at Pembroke, and is commanded by Lieutenant and Commander Frederick H. P. W. Freeman,\ with a complement of 75 all told. She left Plymouth on the 10th of January last to relieve the Merlin on the China station, but on reaching Aden she was instructed to await the arrival of the Calliope from Zanzibar, for orders. When the Calliope arrived sealed orders were handed i-over from Admiral Fremantle, and the Persian Gulf was evidently the destination of the Redpole, her orders being to augment the squadron there, with the object ;of: stopping the construction of a fort which the Turks' were reported to be building at the junction of the Euphrates and Karun rivers, the latter of which has just been opened Up for navigation by treaty. The object of this disgression from their route to China , was not, however, known on board the Redpole until she reached Bushire, where she met two other British vessels,' the Sphinx, and the Griffon. The three proceeded.together and anchored at a place called Fao, at the junction of the two ' rivers already mentioned. It will be remembered that it was chiefly through the instrumentality of Sir H. Drummond Wolff that the Karun river was recently opened for trade, and the idea of the Turks in • building a fort at Fao . was presumably to prevent shipping from going up the river, thus getting a hold on the commerce by being able to levy import duties. The day after the arrival, Captain Boldero, of the Sphinx, and Captain Blaxland, of the Griffon, took a steam cutter and another, boat in; tow ; for the purpose of inspecting Fort Fao. As they approached. they were deliberately fired upon by the Turkish soldiersin the fort, without the. sh'gh test provocation, and they at once returned to their ships. The ships had been put in quarantine, but at the expiration of five days the Sphinx and the Griffon went up to Bussorah, so as to be nearer the Turkish headquarters^ leaving" the Redpole at Fao. When the five days—the proper quarantine period—were up, the officers and men :of the Redpole wished to go ashorg,|but permission to do so was refused to them. The next day, however, the Sphinx and Griffon returned from Bussorah with s an order from ; .the Sultan at Constantinople thai they were* to be allowed to inspect ,thfe fort,jand theyv were followed by a Turkish gunboat bringing a number of officers to hold a courtmartial on the officers in command of the fort who had fired upon- the: British boats. The judgment of the court-martial did not transpire, but it is believed'the offending officer, a lieutenant, has .been severely punished.^ s Aii apology was tendered, and the Sultan, it is reported, personally ordered the court-martial. ; , .■»

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

A Turkish outrage. BRITISH OFFICERS FIRED UPON., Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2453, 28 June 1890

Word Count

A Turkish outrage. BRITISH OFFICERS FIRED UPON. Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2453, 28 June 1890