Our readers will no doubt hare noted the changes that have recently taken place in the ownership of several farms in the county. Among the rest, the Mawson Bros., of Wheatstone, Toi-Toi, and Hakatere, are renouncing two of their farms — Wheatstone and Hakatere—to assume the proprietorship of 1300 acres on the Westerneld estate. As the Mawson Bros, are • colonial born, it will not be out of place to give a" short sketch of thejr history, much of which was gleaned a,t v a valedictory supper, given in their honor on Thursday, last at Mr John Small's homestead by, their neighbors. , • Messrs T. and J. Mawson are the sons of an old colonist well known in past years in connection with the A., and B. . Associations of Canterbury, at all the .• show* in connection with which he was a t> valued and trusted judge, always in re- , quest. Old Isaac'Mawson was a Cum- •• berland man, and for years managed the Blackhowb; farm'for Mr Lindsay, an extensive landed I 'proprietor, near, Whitehaven. He came to New Zealand in one of the historical-"first four ships," and for some time, was manager fpr Mr Twigger'ori; the Lincoln Road, Christ- , church. Subsequently he .owned farms at, Seathcdte and I]llesmere, and was an , agriculturist, of high standings He had great skill in stock, hence his popularity >,«s a show judge, and when Mr John j Grieg's^ imported shorthorn bull ' MAlfonso" came into the market, Mr ■ MawsonVkeen eye noted his excellence^ and he bought' him at once. Subsequently ' Mr William Boag, a name to, conjure by as a stock judge, made, a journey Home. On'his return he attended Mr Mawson's sale,and seeing "Alfonso", bought, him at a high figure, not having seen anything better, among all the herds ho had: visited at Home. This fact speaks volumes for ♦the discernment both of Mr Grigg arid! Mr Mawson, Alfonso's stock has never, been beaten in Canterbury,- arid Mr Boagj -was lucky in securing him for his herd, as two heifers sired by the aristocratic' shorthorn while at the head of Mr Bbag's 1 herd, brought their owner 250gs each. > The, two young farmers under notice \ came to Ashburtori county in 1882, andj settled oh the River Terrace on 200 acres] of land, rust below the farm of Mr John; Small. In time they leased another 175 * acres on the,Toi-Toi property, and later! 280 acres of the Hakatere reserve, near: Mr Joseph Hunt's. These properties were awkward to work ; being five miles 1 apart,,and now, in 1890,. they have secured in Mr Hawdon's 1300 acres a farm more compact and handy on which they can concentrate their energies. The Wheatstone farm goes into the hands of Mr W. H. Ford, of Ealing, and the Hakatere reserve into the hands of Mr G. W. Leadley. The Toi-Toi^ property, meanwhile, remains with the Mawson Bros. As has already been stated, the Maw«on Bros. ■ Wheatstone neighbors gave a valedictory supper in their honor. There is no hotel in the Wheatstone district, — the last one died of starvation—so that the most central homestead was; selected at which to hold the festivity, and what homestead more suitable than Mr Small's. Mrs Small and Mrs McConnell of Wheatstone, tookcharge of the preparations, and for the result let the appreciation of 60 or 70 well pleased guests bear testimony. Mr T. Taylor, of Ashton', was chairman, and Mr James' Croy,' also of Ashton, was croupier. After full justice had been done to the viands, and the cloth removed, the Chairman gave the-usual loyal and patriotic toasts, and then proposed the health of "the guests of the evening." In doing so ,he said he had known the Mawson Brothers for many years, and during the eight-years they had been in the WheatBtone district they had been good neighbors, shown themselves to be good farmers, •teady and industrious, helpful in the district ill every way, and ever ready and willing to take a hand in furthering all charitable, educational, and religious movements. He regretted their going, but he was glad to know they were only going fifteen miles away, and fifteen miles' distance would not distroy their interest in j the«district of their first Ashburton settlement. Complimentary speeches ■were also made,by the croupier, Mr John Small, Mr John Gilmour, and others, after which dancing began in Mr Small's well-knpwn "cheese room" and was kept up with, unflagging spirit until nearly daybreak. ■ ,
Permanent link to this item
VALEDICTORY., Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2449, 24 June 1890
VALEDICTORY. Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2449, 24 June 1890
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.