The Victorian Irrigation Colony.
There was a big Parliamentaiy visit the other day to Mildura at the invitation of Chaffey Brothers, but it was spoilt by the rain. However, the whole party were very enthusiastic over the results achieved at the settlement. The following brief description from one of the reporters will give an idea of the progress made : — Coming in through the back of the settlement the first holding seen was that of Lord Ranfurly, and before the gate had been passed the most sceptical members of the party were converts to the irrigation doctrine. We ha.d been travelling for 10 or 12 miles through country so utterly barren of vegetation that even the rabbits were dying off, often having eaten the bark off the trees and every green thing within their reach. Nothing could be more desolate, dreary, or hopeless in appearance. Then, in an instant, with only a wire fence intervening between it and the inhospitable desert, we saw rich fair lands, laid out in the foreground with rows of orange trees, giving evidence of most healthy, vigorous growth, - and in the distance could be seen trees of larger growth/ and of^different shades; -A fine avenue, with ornamental trees on either hand, led away to a pretty little cottage in one end of the large orangery, in which a gang of men were at work, the whole presenting the embodiment of industry, fertility, beauty, and rural felicity. The contrast was striking and effective. Shortly after this we saw the town, with its large buildings and' its broad avenues, all the result of a couple of years' work, arid were quite prepared to acknowledge' the wonder of the transformation, which the two-year-old identities of the place never weary of describing.
Permanent link to this item
The Victorian Irrigation Colony., Ashburton Guardian, Volume XII, Issue 2430, 2 June 1890
The Victorian Irrigation Colony. Ashburton Guardian, Volume XII, Issue 2430, 2 June 1890
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.