The usual fortnightly. meeting of the Ashburton Borough Council was held last evening. Present—His Worship the Mayor (presiding), and Crs Friedlander, Brooke, Scott, Keir, M'Farlane, Bird, and Williamson. ' FINANCIAL. The Mayor reported the overdraft at the bank to be £1441 Os 6d. The revenue for the fortnight had been : Rates—lßß7, 7s; 1888, 15s; 1889, £15 12s ; 1890, £47 14s; rents of reserves, £9 ; licenses—, dogs, £1 10s; petroleum, £1; Domain account—J. Miles, £2; Borough seal, £1 Is—total, £78 19s. Rates 1889 unpaid, about £26. There had been a saving of about £240 on the year's transactions. CORRESPONDENCE. Letters were read (1) From the Hampstead Town Board re the formation of the N.E. Town Belt, agreeing to pay half the cost up to the amount of £25. —It was resolved that the work should be put in hand on the terms agreed upon. (2) From Rev, J. Boothroyd asking permission for Primitive Methodist Sunday School to use the Domain.—Matter I referred to the Domain Board. (3) From Mr M. Mayo asking that Father Chastagnon's name be substituted for his on the Rate Roll.—Matter left in the hands of the Mayor. (4) From the caretaker of the Domain asking for some additions to his cottage.—Referred to the Domain Committee. CHANNELLING. Some discussion took, place on the subject of street channelling. Cr Brooke moved that a length of ten .chains from West Street in Burnett ■Street, Havelook Street and Wills Street 'be pu,t in hand, also the length in East > Street from Aitken Street; to Grey Street. Cr Keir seconded the motion, which was carried unanimously. The Works Committee were instructed to report as to where the balance of the channelling decided upon in the estimates of expenditure for the year should be constructed. engineers' report. The Engineers' Report ran as under :— Clock Tower. — The Works Committee have considered the question referred to them, and beg to make the recommendation that the Council call for tenders for the design known as, the " dome design " to be carried out in timber. The Labor Gang have been engaged in re-forming the N.E, Town Belt, putting up fence in Domain, repairing traffic bridge, cleaning side channels and other maintenance work, attending to water supply, Ac. The report was adopted, and it was decided that the recommendation of the Committee in regard to the Jubilee clock should be given effect to, Cr Sootfc dissenting.
INJECTOR OP NTJTSANCES. The Inspector of Nuisances reported that since the water supply had been restored the sanitary state of the Borough was very good. He drew attention to the practice of many householders of lighting fires in the open air for washing purposes. This was a source of great danger, and as most of the offenders were unaware $iat they were committing a breach of the by-laws he suggested that the Council should issue a notification to the necessary effect.
The CounoU decided that, as at this season of the year there was no danger from these fires, and as it would be a hardship on many householders to prohibit them, be no action taken, for the present.
With referonce to the resolution passed at a previous meeting of the Council, calling uppn the Inspector to explain why he had not taken action in a case reported upon, he now wrote stating that he had by instruction of the Mayor plaoed the matter in the hands of the Solicitor at the time it came under his notice. The matter went no further however. DRAINAGE. On the motion of Cr Keir it was decided to notify the owners of sections 171, 170, 163, 152, 169, and 154 to take steps to have their propertiesefficiently drained. BOROUGH SOLICITOR. The Council went into Committee on the question of appointing a Borough solicitor. On resuming, the Mayor reported the appointment of Mr O. W, Purnell to the qf&CQ, PAYMENTS. Accounts to the amount of £50 were passed for payment. RESIGNATION. Cr M'Farlane wrote tendering his resignation of his seat at the Council, which was accepted with regret, and the Town Clerk was instructed to take steps to fijj the vacancy.
The Council then sat as a Domain Board. Present—all the above members, Qxcept Crs Friedlajnder and McFarlane. Liberty to use the Domain to hold a pic-nic was granted to the Primitive Methodist Sunday School. The caretaker's request for improvements on the Domain Cottage was declined at present for want of funds, but meanwhile Crs Bird and Brooke were appointed a Committee to examine the cottage and report at next meeting. The Rovers Football Club wrote asking I the use of the Domain on Easter Monday for a ma.tch on that day between their Club and the Leeston Club. They also asked liberty to make a charge for admission to the grounds. It was decided to inform the Club that | the ground could only be had for football | purposes on the terms originally agreed ' upon by the Council. Tho matter of Easter Monday was referred to tho Mayor to arrange with the Club. The Engineer was authorised to execmto Some drainage work on tio running tr.a,Qkj | Thg Botutf then adieus ned,
Permanent link to this item
BOROUGH COUNCIL., Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2390, 1 April 1890
BOROUGH COUNCIL. Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2390, 1 April 1890
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.