The Ashburton Guardian. Magna est Veritas et Prævalebit. WEDNESDAY, MAY 15, 1889. KRUPP'S STEEL WORKS.
| Our cablegrams of a day or two ago, . referring to the strike among the coalr miners of Weßtpbalia, stated that it was I feared that one of the results would be to compel the temporary stoppage of 1 operations at Krupp's steel works. As > this would mean the throwing out of i employment of over twenty thousand men • a few particulars relating to the enori mouß establishment referred to will be 1 of interest to our readers. Krupp's * steel works are the largest factory of the t kind m the world, and have m operation no less than 1192 furnaces of different kinds, 286 steam boilers, 92 steam hammers, from 2 cwt up to 45 tons, 21 [ rolling trains, 370 steam engines, from f '£ to 2500 h.p. each, giving a total k of [ 27,000 h.p. (not including locomotive . and steam cranes), 1724 machine tools of various sorts, and 361 cranes of a lifting capacity of from 1 to 67 tons, Several cranes are arranged m such a , manner that coupled together they are > able to lift loads up to 800 tons. To k facilitate the traffic m the works there ' are 40 miles of railways of normal , guage, with 14 tank locomotives, and ) 542 waggons, 21 miles of small guage ' railway, with 14 locomotives and 450 ! waggons, 61 horses, with 181 carts, 75 » miles of telegraph lines, with 31 tele graph stations, 100 miles of telephone ' Unas, with 124 common stations, which ai"w connected with the central station, and 12 \6C^ Potions. There is a fire brigade with 6*4 and 66 aIa "B > stations. The establishment' has ajso for its own purposes three chemical laboratories, two testing and experi menting shops, a photographic and lithographic atelier, a printing shop (four steam presses and seven hand presses), as well as a bookbinding shop, a library, a museum, with an exhibition showing the history of the development of artillery. Then there is a practice range near Meppen belonging to iko establishment, and which is used for gunnery trials, And large smelting works at three places on the Rhine having eleven blast furnaces m operation, and producing nearly 600 tons of pig iron d ail j| Four quarries are m operation co supply limestone for the blast furnaces, two coal pits and 31 iron-mines, m Seigerland, Nassau, North Spain and elsewhere about 1200 tons of ore §j being raised "daily, for the transport of which the firm employs four Bteamerß of its own of 6100 tons carrying capacity besides c^*«"tering others, The marvellous establishmei:! which is tlj e ? entre and spring of all this industry is situated at Essen, having be ?? l es " tablished m the year 1810. It J* s been conducted by the Krupps —father and son since 1826, tbe Krupp of to-day having succeded to the control of the works m 1887. A census of the employees taken m July last year, showed that the total number of men employed was 20,960 with families totalling up to 52,809 the total population dependant on the works being thus no less than 73,764 souls, of whom 24,193 occupied dwellings belong to the firm. As is well-known, one of the principal we suppose we may say the principal branch of manufacture is that of ordnance, no less than 23,000 guns of various sizes having been supplied from t*he works, though what is known as Krupp metal is also extensively used for other purposes than that of the construction of weapons of *ar. Altogether the establishment at Essen is one of the modern wonders of the world and the stoppage though even for a short time of so busy and extensive a hive of industry means Buffering and perhaps want to a population equal to that of a large city.
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.
Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.
Print, save, zoom in and more.