Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.

ASHBURTON COUNTY HUNT CLUB

The opening meet of the Beason of the Ashburton Oounty Hunt Olub took plaoe on Wednesday, 17th April, at Sootsden. Tbe afternoon was fairly suitable but rather warm. Mr Edward Saunders, the newly appointed and popular huntsman, was punctually on the spot with hiß paok, which were looking remarkably healthy, and was welcomed by a number of his old friends and fellow sportsmen, several ooming from long distances to again join with him m the good old sport, and they were m no way disappointed for the hounds worked exceedingly well. Several paddocks were drawn blank, when at last puss was started on the property of Mr Pilbrow and was almost immediately ohopped m the plantations. Another hare getting up gave a splendid run over the properties of Messrs Jas Quigley, S. W.Norrish, and Parham, the racecourse, along the main road and then along the railway line for some distance where she was killed. This oonoluded the first day's sport. On Saturday last, 20th inst, the hounds met at Mr M. Stiti'a, Winohmore. A large field of some 40 persons, besides others on wheels, portook of the usual hospitality acoorded to visitors at Winobmore. The sport, however, was not so good as on the previous oooasion, hares being too numerous, the weather very dry and ground hard. Saveral short runs, with any amount of jumping, brought the afternoon to a close, when all returned to Winohmore to a hospitable spread provieed by Mr Stitt.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

https://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/AG18890424.2.20

Bibliographic details

ASHBURTON COUNTY HUNT CLUB, Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2117, 24 April 1889

Word Count
248

ASHBURTON COUNTY HUNT CLUB Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2117, 24 April 1889

Working