THE LAST OF ILMA. DI MURSKA
Tbe bodies of Madama lima dj Marska and her danghter, Fraa von Czadik, have bten cremated at Gotha (writes the " Fall mall Budget " of January 25.) The oemetery lies at some distance from Gotha, and Its oentro la occupied by a building, In tbe middle of which la the hall fo* the preservation of the arns. One wing Is re served for the Inspector, and the other for tbe neoesfcary apparatna and a tiny ohapel. Over 600 cremations have now taken place In Gotha, bat only about 200 urns are preserved In the Hall of the Dead, as many take the ashes of th/;lr dead home with them. The coffin of Madame dl Marska was borne into the obapel, followed by one ohlef monrner — her Ansttian husband — and a dozan members <;f the Gotha opera. In the chapel there Is a raised grating, upon whloh the coffin was placed, and after a few moments devoted to Bllent prayer the grate with the coffin slowly sank. An Iron plate, gliding nolseleßaly over the atone pavement, covered the opening. The Incineration occupied an hour nod a half, and then the Ctremony was repealed with Madame dl Marska's daughter. A single wreath of Uurels, Fran von Ozadik's offering, adorned the'prlma donna's coffin, The daughter who left suffialent means to defr*y the ooßts of the fuoerai, had arranged that two simple black urus with the ashes of each should be placed m the oolambarium at Gotha. Below the name lima di Maraka were to ba Inscribed ihe following words : — " Ashes are all that remain of the nightingale " Below that of Fran you Czedik the words :-— •' The woman who Hies here has battled and suffered muoh m vain."
Permanent link to this item
THE LAST OF ILMA. DI MURSKA, Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2090, 18 March 1889
THE LAST OF ILMA. DI MURSKA Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2090, 18 March 1889
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.