TINWALD PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH.
The Anniversary tea meeting of it* Tlnwald Presbyterian Ohurohtaok placa on Tuesday evenfog In tbe Templar Hall. Frlen 4b gathered from plaoes as distant M Ashton, Flemlogton, Hinds and Lowolffl. The weather was favorable, and the tables were spread with good thlngi In abund* * anoa, and wih a taste that reflected great oredit on the ladles Those who presided wp.re Mrs Oalrncr )bs, Misses Galrnoross (3), Misses McK°age (3), and Donaldson ; Mrs Blake, Misses Blake. Grant and Houston, Bachelors' table — Misses Me* harry (3), and Roan tree. After tea the pnblio meeting was held, Rev A. Blake la the chair. Having opaned the meeting, he explained the absence of the Rev 3. P. Riddle, of RaknUj and welcomed the visitor. He deprecated any qtiarrel between the pnlplt and the press r holding that the one ahoald rejoice la the prosperity of tbe other. Ministers would be la tonoh with their people so long at both were In tooth with Christ and ills Word. The amoant railed and expended on the Ohuroh building daring the past thtet years was £293, Incladlog the organ. Ha thanked those who had aided m bringtng abont this result . Tbe Rev Mr Oorbett spoke of the nnlty of tbe Obnrob, and made his point cleat by fonr Illustration j, of a body, a family, a temple, and a city . It was theirs to tee that the/ were built Into tbe wall as living stones. This also gave tbe Idea of security, They must either be as stones In the building or at rej*oted stubble; He congratulated Mr Blake on the saooesi of tha meeting. Rev J N. Buttle spoke of the work of the Ohuroh. He wonld Inslude In thla tbe forming cf public opinion on Temperance questions, and the distribution of wealth. He hoped the law would be a terror to evil do»rs, . and referred to a reoenfc mlsoarrltge of justice In oonnecttoa with the Probationers' Offenders Aot, Tha Oburoh must express the spirit and teabhlngof Christ. The Rev Mr Finlayion referred to thoia things that wonld tend to promote tha prosperity of a congregation. The Rev. Mr Blmtlie mentioned aoma marks of the ohnroh'a progress. . Twelva years ago there were tS obcrbhts, now there were 24 There were then 10 ministers In charge, now there, were 22 In this Presbytery, to Ashbnrton Oountf the progress had been very marked. Ha wonld speak of progress of a higher type, and m ordee to thlt, there mutt b* a - happy harmonious unity, and devotion to the Master's service. He hoped there wonld be showers of blessings^ and boa* gr»tnlated the congregation on signs of progress. Rev. Mr Beattio addressed the yonngev portion of the meeting ohUfly on oertaln traits of charaoter, true, honeit, of good report, eta, Illustrating his points by ancedotea. . * ...••- Mr Sawle expressed his kind wishes and trusted to hear of the future prosperity of both pastor and people. Tbe U'nal votes of thanks were moved by Mr Waits, and Mr Thomas McDowell, and were heartily emted. ;,_,„; The oholr, assisted by their friends, sang selections frcm the new Ssnkey and from Christian Oholr. The harmony wsa strikingly good, and the pleoes went remarkably well. Mia* Kldd pang very sweetly a sacred solo, and, together with BIUs Oliver sang a duet, "Friendship," which was muoh admired. Mr Kelsal sang a solo from Mendelsohn's Elijah m a> manner whlah gave great saUaf aotlon. The evening* proceedings a¥ a whole were muoh enjoyed by those present, and there was a marked absence of the unseemly noises whloh often mar . tba pleasure of >uoh gatherings. . '
Permanent link to this item
TINWALD PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH., Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2039, 17 January 1889
TINWALD PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH. Ashburton Guardian, Volume VII, Issue 2039, 17 January 1889
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.