Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


We have received the following particulars from one of the search party, who has been out looking for Mr Anderson during the week. It appears that Mr Anderson and Mr A. Grant went out hut Wednesday week for the purpose of pig hunting, and were driven up to Mr Coster’s shepherd’s hut by Mr G. Farr, storekeeper of Methven. On Sunday a farmer named James Craig called at the hut, and saw both Anderson and Grant. The latter asked b im to be sure and call at Bowick’s Hotel as he returned, and send him some assistance, as Anderson was deranged. Craig remarked that he (Anderson) would soon come round again. On the Monday morning following Anderson got up as usual and dressed himself. Grant missed him for about eight minutes, and got up immediately and called out to him, and whistled for the dog, but could not see anything of either. After searching for some time Mr Grant walked to Mr Thomas Jackson’s, at Broom Park, and told Mr Jackson of the circumstance, and he immediately proceeded on horseback to the sheepyards, which are about 200 yards below the hut where Anderson and Grant were stopping. At this spot he left his horse and walked into the hut, and examined its vicinity for some time, but could hear or see nothing. When he returned to where the horse was left standing, Mr Jackson discovered Anderson’s dog lying beside the horse. Mr. Grant, in the meantime, had gone to Methven on foot, and with Mr Patton and a number of others, returned in a buggy and pair to the neighborhood of the hut. Constable Rowse, of the Rakaia, returned with the party. When they reached the hut it was almost dark, so they determined to return towards the bridge, and then to Bewick's Hotel to see if the unfortunate man had turned up. Finding no tidings of him, they returned to Methven, and informed the residents of the township. A search party was then formed, and the next morning, about 6.30, they started on the search. The gullies, scrub, and river bed close to the hut were searched thoroughly, but without any result. We may mention that the hut is situated on the north bank of the upper branch of the Ashburton, and is about twenty-two feet from the top of a terrace, which ia

fully 150 feet from the river. Between the hut and the river, and surrounding the sheep yards is a dense patch of scrub and high flax, with steep terraces, and it is supposed that Anderson’s body must be somewhere near this spot, as his dog apparently had come out of it, and found Mr Jackson’s horse. Messrs Thomas and Julian Jackson, A. McFarlane, and ... several others started from the bridge upwards, and Messrs Cameron, H Bailey, W. B. Compton, and others, together with Mounted Constables Bowse and Neill, started from opposite the Spread Eagle Hotel up the river towards the bridge. Whilst going up the river, an accident happened to one of this party, but which, fortunately, was unattended with serious consequences. Mr Bailey, whilst crossing one of the streams, had his horse washed from under him, so strong was

the current, and had to swim for it. Hit horse was washed down a considerable distance, but eventually got out all safe. The search party reached the bridge, but found no trace of the missing man. A good few here availed themselves of the kind invitation of Mr Andrew McFarlane to partake of some refreshment at his house, which is close by. The remainder of the search parties then proceeded up the river as far as Mcllraith’s hut, but could get no further on horseback, owing to the flood in the river, and the rocky state of the river bed. A man named G. Stevens, who is living in this hut, says that whilst sitting by the fire reading on Monday evening, he heard someone cooey. He went outside the hut and responded to the cooey, and waited for some t ; rae, but heard no more. After leaving their horses at this hut, the search party went up the north bank of the river on foot for a distance of fully

two miles, but without any trace being found. They then returned to Methven. On Thursday another search party, including Messrs A. McClellan, J. Scott, Hussey, Sullivan, and some others, went up as far as Mr Coster’s back hut, which is about six miles above Mcllraith’s. A good number remained at the latter's place, searching in the scrub and flax, and the understanding was that if the former party were successful in their search, they were to signal to the others by lighting a fire. One of the party who went up to Coster’s hut was unfortunately knocked up, and had to be carried about three miles by his comrades. This was a most serious undertaking, as the bush lawyers - and scrub made it very difficult to walk, without having anything to carry. For the purpose of resuscitating the “ weak one” several fires had to be lit, and sundry flasks resorted to, but the smoke of the fires had signalled to the others that they had been successful, and these at once returned to Methven, and spread the report that the body had been found. The party, however, returned unsuccessful in the search, and up to the present time no cine as to the whereabouts of the body has come to light. Mounted-Constables Bowse and Neill deserve great praise for the zeal which they displayed in the search, in fact, too much credit cannot be

given them. Both have been severely scratched with lawyers, and their uniforms completely spoilt and torn almost to shreds. We feel that they are deserving of some recompense, if only to recoup them for the loss of their uniforms. We had almost forgotten to mention that

an accident happened to one of them (Constable Rouse). He was crossing one of the streams caused by the overflow of the river near the bridge, when his horse lost his footing and fell head first into a deep hole. He lost his hat and whip, and was drenched to the skin, but was not otherwise hurt. Since writing the above, we hear that a body has been washed up on the sea beach, but it is not known

whether it is that of Anderson. [Up to the time of our going to press, we regret to say that no trace of the unfortunate man pad been discovered.]

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

THE SEARCH FOR MR ANDERSON., Ashburton Guardian, Volume III, Issue 671, 24 June 1882

Word Count

THE SEARCH FOR MR ANDERSON. Ashburton Guardian, Volume III, Issue 671, 24 June 1882

  1. New formats

    Papers Past now contains more than just newspapers. Use these links to navigate to other kinds of materials.

  2. Hierarchy

    These links will always show you how deep you are in the collection. Click them to get a broader view of the items you're currently viewing.

  3. Search

    Enter names, places, or other keywords that you're curious about here. We'll look for them in the fulltext of millions of articles.

  4. Search

    Browsed to an interesting page? Click here to search within the item you're currently viewing, or start a new search.

  5. Search facets

    Use these buttons to limit your searches to particular dates, titles, and more.

  6. View selection

    Switch between images of the original document and text transcriptions and outlines you can cut and paste.

  7. Tools

    Print, save, zoom in and more.

  8. Explore

    If you'd rather just browse through documents, click here to find titles and issues from particular dates and geographic regions.

  9. Need more help?

    The "Help" link will show you different tips for each page on the site, so click here often as you explore the site.