Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image
This article displays in one automatically-generated column. View the full page to see article in its original form.


At half-past twelve o’clock the firebells rang out an slarm, and it was soon known that IV r R. Lancaster’s slaughter-house situated at the back of Trevorton was in flames. The Fire Brigade lost no time is usual, in getting to the scene of the occurrence, and Sergeant Felton was alsc very quickly on the spot, but assistan :e came too late ; the premises were do imed, and all the Brigade could do was to put out the embers. The build ng was substantially built of brick with a brick floor. It was a one-storied structure, and was a really first-class sla ighter-house, Mr Lancaster having added many improvements when it was re-erected after the last fire—some time aco, and which was as mysterious as t!” resent one. Mr Lancaster valued the stock and plant at L4OO, and he had hanging up in the shed at the time of the fire, ready for removal to tie shop, nineteen sheep, two bullocks, a pig, and four lambs, of the value o.' Lso, tallow and fat worth another LSOI and a dog which was supposed to be irj charge, and was destroyed at the post of duty, at Lio. There is no clue at present as to the origin of the fire. Thomas Barber and Charles Cornelius, vho had been at work at the place, left it at eight o’clock last evening, when everything was right. The premises were c impletely gutted, only the brick walls remaining. The premises, so far as the police can ascertain, were wholly uninsured, but the owner does not, according to their account, appear very cl jar as to whether he is insured or not.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

LANCASTER’S SLAUGHTERHOUSE BURNT DOWN., Ashburton Guardian, Volume III, Issue 536, 17 January 1882

Word Count

LANCASTER’S SLAUGHTERHOUSE BURNT DOWN. Ashburton Guardian, Volume III, Issue 536, 17 January 1882