(From our own Correspondent.)
The new bridge near Pudding Hill is fast approaching completion, and is certainly one of the best built and most imposing structures of the kind in the county. Its length is 960 ft., and, being built throughout of well-seasoned ironbark, the contractors, Messrs. Thomas and Hill, would guarantee its strength to carry any weight required, even for railway purposes. It is generally regretted that the one over the South Ashburton was not built of similar material, as it cannot be expected to last for any length of time, the wood used being throughout black birch, and quite green. Judges competent to form correct opinions are unanimous in deploring the “ penny-wise and pound-foolish” carrying out of this work, and the .great waste of public money. The bridge is undoubtedly of great service, but will soon show the effect of wear, mostly, as sailors term it, “ between wind and water.” The North Ashburton Bridge will be a credit to all concerned, and a lasting monument of money wisely spent, while reflecting special credit upon the contractors, Messrs. Thomas and Hill. The approaches, to be of service, should have a decided outward inclination, allowing sheep, etc., to be driven conveniently along it. This could be done at very little additional expense. Exhibits of Alford Forest timber and stone, for almost all purposes, were shown in the late Christchurch Exhibition, by Mr. James Henderson, among the latter being good building stone and limestone, and also coal; and we trust the new bridge will bo the means of carrying many of the natural products of this neighborhood to Methvon, the nearest railway station. We yet hope to see the railway continued to Mount Somers.
Permanent link to this item
ALFORD FOREST., Ashburton Guardian, Volume 1, Issue 133, 31 July 1880
ALFORD FOREST. Ashburton Guardian, Volume 1, Issue 133, 31 July 1880
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.