OPENING OF ST. JAMES’ CHURCH, CHERTSEY.
The new Church of St. James’, Chertsey, was opened by the most Rev. the Primate at 11 a.m. on Sunday last. The church was quite full long before the hour of service, and though constructed to seat fifty persons, quite eighty were within the walls. The prayers were read by the rev. incumbent, and the lessons by a licensed lay reader; the Bishop being celebrant and preacher. Two young persons were confirmed who were unable to attend the confirmation service at Rakaia Parish Church a few Sundays ago. The singing, which was unaccompanied, was led by the incumbent, assisted by several members of the Parish Church and Kylo, and was heartily sustained by the congregation. We have never heard a service without an accompaniment so well sustained by the choir as was the case on the present occasion. There were twenty-five communicants. The collection, which was in aid of the building fund, amounted to Ll 3 Is. 2d. The church was built from a plan.by Mr. Mountfort, of Christchurch, and is the fifth of six churches proposed to be built in the parish of Rakaia. It has been arranged to hold divine service in the church every Sunday afternoon at three o’clock—twice in the month by the incumbent, and twice by a lay reader. The Chertsey people have come forward very liberally with subscriptions to meet the grant from the church property trustees, and it is understood that the church has been opened free of debt. The altar, lecturn, prayer desk, handsome Brussels carpet for the sacrarium, set of seals, chair, and matting for the aisle, have all been presented by members of the church and friends. In the evening the Bishop preached at the Parish Church to a very good congregation.
Permanent link to this item
OPENING OF ST. JAMES’ CHURCH, CHERTSEY., Ashburton Guardian, Volume 1, Issue 128, 20 July 1880
OPENING OF ST. JAMES’ CHURCH, CHERTSEY. Ashburton Guardian, Volume 1, Issue 128, 20 July 1880
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.