MR. B G. WRIGHT AND THE COURTHOUSE.
It will perhaps sin-prise some, who would have been glad to see the Ashburton Courthouse built of brick instead of wood, that we owe the wooden structure to the kind offices of Mr. E. G. Wright. Our worthy M.H.R., hearing that the preparation of plans for a building in brick and the calling for alternative tenders were about to be undertaken, stepped in, and urged on the wooden building at all hazards, pointing out that the pressure of legal business in tho district would no longer brook any delay in the erection of a Courthouse. This is the story that has reached us, and we have no reason to doubt its truthfulness. Perhaps those who believe “ that our own money should go to our own people,” and that local industry should be locally supported will thank Mr. Wright for removing the opportunity, that might, but for his advice, have been given to our local brickmakers and builders, of finding some outlet for their manufactures and industry within the township. is, a Christchurch contractor gets the work, and Christchurch hands supply the labor.
Permanent link to this item
MR. B G. WRIGHT AND THE COURTHOUSE., Ashburton Guardian, Volume 1, Issue 115, 19 June 1880
MR. B G. WRIGHT AND THE COURTHOUSE. Ashburton Guardian, Volume 1, Issue 115, 19 June 1880
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.