CONSECRATION OF THE NEW MASONIC HALL.
The ceremony of consecrating the Somerset Masonic Hall took place yesterday afternoon, in the presence of a large number of Masons,'conducted by D.D.G. Master Bro. Henry Thomson and Grand Lodge officers, Bro. P. M. Webb acting as D.S.G. Warden, Bro. P.M. Shearman as D.J.G. Warden, and Bro. Paige D. G. Chaplain. The lodge was first opened in the temporary lodge-room at Bro. Shearman’s sample rooms, after which the brethren inarched in procession to the new hall in Tancred street, which was tastefully decorated for the occasion. On arriving at the new hall, the D.D. Grand Master and officers first entered, followed by the brethren of the lodges here and many visitors, numbering in all about 80. The officers and brethren having assembled in due form, the choir commenced with the anthem, “ Behold how good and joyful a thing it is for brethren to dwell together in unity,” followed with prayer by the D.G. Chaplain, and “ Sanctus,” by the choir. The Lodge Architect then certified to the due completion of the hall, and was congratulated by the D.D.G. Master upon the completion of the very fine structure about to be dedicated to Masonry. The choir sang “ Hail, Eternal. ” The Lodge was then first dedicated to Masonry by the Grand Lodge representatives; secondly, to Virtue ; and, thirdly, to Universal Benevolence ; followed by grand honors by all the brethren. The D.G. Chaplain then offered the dedication prayer, followed by musical response, 'and the ceremony was concluded by the choir chanting the 100th Psalm. Before closing the Lodge the D.D.G;. Master spoke of the grand principles of Masonry, and commended that of Charity one towards another, which should be particularly remembered among themselves as brethren, and also to all mankind. He then congratulated them on having erected such a fine hall in so short a time, remarking that the building was ample for all the requirements of Masonry ; and now that all the outward work was finished, he would strongly urge them to carry on the true work of the Order in their hearts and put their principles into effect. After receiving congratulations and a vote ©f thanks had been given to the D.D.G. Master, the Lodge was closed and the brethren were dismissed to prepare for the ball. At the proper places in the ceremony the Masonic Choir sang the following pieces : divine ; ” “ Come, Charity; ” and “ Come holy Virtue. ” THE BALL commenced at nine o’clock, and a very large number of couples were present. The hall was neatly decorated, and excellent arrangements w’ere made for the comfort and convenience of the brethren and their lady friends. The upper room and the two ante-rooms on the ground floor
were devoted to the ladies, while a large marquee, erected at the back of the hall, did duty as a refreshment room, and was under the care of Brother Quill. A covered way was also made from the door of the hall to the .marquee, so that the dancers could avoid the necessity of going into the open air in their passage to and from the hall. The music was supplied by an efficient orchestra from Christchurch, and altogether the event was the most pleasant and successful of its kind that has yet been held in the township, and was fully enjoyed by all concerned up till a late hour in the morning.
Permanent link to this item
CONSECRATION OF THE NEW MASONIC HALL., Ashburton Guardian, Volume 1, Issue 88, 17 April 1880
CONSECRATION OF THE NEW MASONIC HALL. Ashburton Guardian, Volume 1, Issue 88, 17 April 1880
Using This Item
See our copyright guide for information on how you may use this title.