Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image

Criminal Assault.— Detective Neill, of Christchurch, on Saturday, arrested a man named Skedgewell on a charge of having committed a criminal assault at Ashburton. Banquet. —We understand that a banquet is to be given by several admirers of the late proprietor of the “Mail” to that gentleman, 'on his return from the North to fight out the libel case. Temperance Benefit Societies. Steps are being taken to resuscitate and. if possible, amalgamate the two temperance benefit societies which for some months have been lying dormant. Clean Sheet. —There were no police cases for the R. M. to deal with on Saturday nor yesterday, so that in Ashburton at least the holidays have been observed with commendable decorum. Death of Templeton. —The grand old racehorse, Templeton, mot his death on the Christchurch racecourse yesterday. While taking his exercise, by an extraordinary mishap he cannoned against a cow and smashed his shoulder. The injuries were so severe that the gallant little horse had to be shot. Accident at Methven. —One of the hands employed in delivering the wheat belonging to Messrs. Gould and Cameron at Methven on Friday fell with a sack across one of the rails and sustained a severe fracture of one of his legs. He was at once taken to the homestead, where lie received all the attention his case demanded. Wesleyan. —On Sunday last it was announced tiiai the Wesleyan Church would bo lighted with gas next Sabbath ; and that the quarterly meeting of officebearers on Wednesday evening next, would probably be hold at the parsonage, in consequence of the gac'hWs using th# church for laying the pipes,

The Sacking of Mr. Furness’ Shop. —ln connection with the disgraceful rush that was made on Good Friday on the shop of Mr. Furness, when the premises were sacked of everything liftable by the Volunteers, Captain Feld wick, who had command of the Invercargill contingent, denies that any of his men had to do with the affair. Easter Services at St. Mark’s, Rakaia. —On Easter Day, special services were held in St. Mark’s Church, Rakaia. The church had been very tastefully decorated by the ladies of the district, and presented a very pleasing sight. In the morning the attendance was not so good as might have been, but in the evening the Church was crowded. The service in the evening was choral, Mrs. C. H. M'Lean presiding at the organ. Communion. —The sacrament of the Lord’s Supper was dispensed in the Presbyterian Church, Ashburton, on Sunday, when the largest number of communicants that has ever attended on any previous celebration, partook. Suitable sermons were preached by the pastor on the occasion, and in the evening, and large numbers of Presbyterians from the country attended. The elders who assisted at the sacrament wore Messrs Moore, of Waterton, and Henderson, of Methven. Easter Monday. —Yesterday was observed almost entirely in Ashburton as a holiday, and the day being fine, many of the residents took a day’s outing, all the available conveyances being brought into requisition, from the modest dray to the capacious “Princess” ’bus. The latter rehicle took a large party to Wakanui. The beach, always a refuge at holiday time, had a fair share of pic-nic parties, while not a few pleasure-seekers made for the hills. The crack of the gun was a frequent sound, too, in places that afforded sport for our local shots. Masonic. —At the regular meeting of the Thistle Lodge, 5.0., on Thursday evening, Bro. Quill was installed as W. Master of that Lodge, by Bro. Taylor, P.M., from Lyttelton, assisted by visiting Past-Masters. There was a good attendance of the Lodge. The new Worshipful Master acknowledged the honor that the brethren had conferred upon him, expressing his determination to do all in his power to promote the interests of Masonry and the Thistle Lodge in particular. This Lodge, which is under the Scotch Constitution, is prospering, and the next meeting is expected to be held in the new Masonic Hall, Tancred street. Home from the War. —Last night the first instalment of the war-worn army that has been sham-fighting in Christchurch passed through Ashburton on its way south. The rowdiness which characterised their previous passage through the town was almost wholly absent, and only a very few, comparatively, seemed inclined to leave the carriages for a drink. About a dozen made their way across the street to the shop that was sacked on Good Friday for fruit, and to Mr. Edward Taylor’s for bread, but the main boiy seemed too much done up to care for moving. The little knot of idlers on the platform got up a sleepy cheer, and a harsh-voiced individual iu one carriage called in response for three groans for the Christchurch tucker and accommodation. These seemed to bo heartily given, and some of the dreamers woke up to join in. The Burnham Accident. —On the Bth of March, it will be remembered, a little three-year old child named Gilpin, had her arm almost severed from her body, and one foot badly crushed, by an accident that happened to her at Burnham Railway Station. She was a passenger in a train with her mother, who also had an infant in her arms. The train in which they had travelled from Christchurch drew up in a siding to allow another train to pass on the main line. The train in which they were passengers came to a dead halt, and was perfectly still, but some minutes afterwards moved on again a few yards. In the interval the passengers were getting out, and while the husband of Mrs. Gilpin, who had come to meet his family, was assisting the mother and infant from the carriage, the train made the sudden advance of a few yards referred to. The little girl who was injured was on the carriage platform, and was jerked off, falling before the wheels, which passed over her, and mutilated her as above described. She was taken to the Christchurch hospital, where she died on the 23rd inst. On Thursday last an inquest was hold at the hospital, when, after hearing the evidence of those who witnessed the accident, the railway officials, and the medical men, the jury returned a verdict to the effect that the child had died from diarrhoea and sickness, aggravated by the accident on the railway. They also added a rider suggesting that when a passenger train is drawn on a siding, the passengers should not be allowed to leave the train until it is brought up alongside the platform, and also that the points should be attended to by the pointsman, and not by the guard.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

Ashburton Guardian, Ashburton Guardian, Volume 1, Issue 80, 30 March 1880

Word Count

Untitled Ashburton Guardian, Volume 1, Issue 80, 30 March 1880