Article image
Article image
Article image
Article image


* DEPLORABLE STATE OF AFFAjgW. IN' THE VILLAGE. JF An inquest was held yesterday afternoon at Wallace’s Chertsey Hotel on the body of Garrett Gough, before J. E. Trevor, Esq., and a jury of 12, of whom Mr. W. A. Brown was chosen foreman. After being sworn, the jury .viewed the body, and tl e following evidence was taken. Wm. Rouse, mounted constable, de poned—On Sunday, 25th hist., about 7.30 a. m., I found the body of deceased lying at the crossing on the line at Chertsey. He was on his back, with his feet close to the rails, and he had no appearance of having been disturbed. Examined him and found no marks of violence about him. He had no property or money on him. By the Coroner—He looked as if he had died in his sleep. Have known him for six years. He has been repeatedly con-' victed as a vagrant, saw him last a fortnight ago in Addington Gaol. James Wallace, landlord of the Chertsey Hotel, deponed—l came home at 8.30 p.m. on Saturday night, and after tea deceased asked mo if I would let him and his wife liave a bed. As I had previous experience of their habits I refused them' any accommodation. About 9 o’clock I went out, and there was a crowd of men about them, and the woman was dancing. So as to disperse the crowd, I offered to give them the use of a loose-box, and to lock them in. The woman refused, and threw a stone at me. About five next morning I was awakened by a man knocking at the door, who said Gough was dead, and I saw the man lying near the line and the woman with her arms round him, screaming. He was not cold nor stiff. By the Coroner—There was no quarrelling, but there was a crowd of men about them. The deceased was quite sober when I saw him last. Mary Gough, sworn—Am wife of deceased. He was a laborer, but we had no settled residence. All I know, was, when I woke I found my husband dead, and I screeched. Our camp was on the open ground. \Ve had plenty of blankets, but did not cover any over us. During the day my husband complanied that his bowels were out of order, but otherwise was in good health. He has not complained of his health. He was 62 years of age. During the evening he was not sober. I cannot account for his death. I was neither sober nor drunk myself when I laid down. By a juror—Two boys brought over two bottles to where we were camped. . It was shandygaff I think. Deceased was, a very heavy drinker. Mr. Wallace offered us a loose box to sleep in. Hugh Boyle, laborer, deponed—On ■ Saturday night, I slept out near the railway Tine at Chertsey, and near daylight heard the woman call out that her husband was dead, and gave the alarm to Mr. Wallace who went with me. I slept about 5 chains from where the body was found. I wasn’t sober myself on Saturday night. About one on Sunday morning I heard a noise, and saw a lot of men standing about the deceased’s camp making a noise. I heard the woman telling the men to go away. I have been drinking a week. The evidence of this witness was considered unreliable, and after mceiving a caution from the coroner was thrown out. James Blunt, blacksmith’s apprentice, deponed—About twelve on Saturday night I heard deceased and his wife laughing and making a noise, and my mate and myself went over to tho place. They did not appear to be quarrelling. We remained about there “ larking” till nearly daylight, with some other men. I did not speak to deceased, but to his wife. When I left he was lying down, apparently asleep, and his wife, was sitting about a yard away from him. I had a little to drink that night. We were larking with his wife. By tho foreman—There wore five besides myself “ larking ’■ there that night. Tom Childs was one. I saw some whisky there. I saw Boyle, the last witness, on the spot. T. Childs, blacksmith, a boy aged 16, after a considerable amount of persuasion, corroborated the previous witness’s evidence and acknowledged to having been drinking. He received a severe reprimand from the Coroner, who requested the foreman of the jury to convey his opinions to the parents and guardians of this and the previous witness. John Moore, farmer, Cherstey—Saw deceased about 11 o’clock and spoke to him. Saw him again about daylight, but could not say if he was alive then. I stayed to get my man borne, and to see the “sport.” There was a great noise. Deceased took no part in it; his wife did. I assisted in the disturbance ; I was not sober. I cannot account for the death of deceased. Jas. Scarlett, farmer of Chertsey— Knew he was drunk on the night in question. Saw deceased about 2 o’clock on Sunday morning and he was then alive, and I was drunk. W. G. Ross, surgeon, sworn, deponed,, to having made a post mortem examination of the deceased. There were no external marks of violence on the body,; head and face very much congested. All the internal organs were congested. Disease of the heart was apparent, the heart itself was petrified. The right x*ide of the heart flaccid; the left ventricle full. All the organs besides the heart , were healthy, but congested. The brain, lungs, liver, and bowels were intensely congested. All the organs smelt strongly of alcohol. I attribute death to the failure of the action of the heart, accelerated by the congestion of the brain and lungs, such congestion having been produced by alcohol. A vQrclict vyas returned in aceordanee with the medical evidence.

This article text was automatically generated and may include errors. View the full page to see article in its original form.
Permanent link to this item

Bibliographic details

Ashburton Guardian, Ashburton Guardian, Volume 1, Issue 53, 27 January 1880

Word Count

INQUEST AT CHERTSEY. Ashburton Guardian, Volume 1, Issue 53, 27 January 1880