Welcome to Papers Past
Papers Past contains more than three million pages of digitised New Zealand newspapers and periodicals. The collection covers the years 1839 to 1948 and includes 99 publications from all regions of New Zealand.
There are two main ways to find information in Papers Past: searching and browsing. Searching lets you enter a query term and retrieves articles that contain that term. Browsing lets you look at all the newspapers, starting with a year, a region, or a newspaper title. All the newspaper titles on the site can be searched and browsed.
The Getting started page gives an overview of how to use Papers Past.
How to find out more about our newspaper collection
The newspapers on Papers Past are only a small proportion of New Zealand newspapers. If you cannot find what you are looking for online, it may be available as a paper copy or microfilm. Check the National Newspaper Collection page on the National Library website for more information.
How to find out more about a newspaper
Each newspaper on Papers Past has its own page containing information about the publication, including the date range which is available online and a link to an essay about the newspaper's history. You can find links to all the newspapers on the Browse by title page.
Where to find Māori newspapers
The Māori Niupepa Collection is a collection of historic newspapers published primarily for a Māori audience between 1842 and 1932. Digitised copies of these newspapers are available on the New Zealand Digital Library website.
How we select new titles
National Library curators select new newspaper titles for Papers Past based on a number of factors, such as national and regional significance, the availability of paper or microfilm copies of the newspaper, and ensuring a good range of regions and dates. We do not provide recent material because of copyright restrictions.
To find out about our newspaper digitisation programme, visit the Papers Past page on the National Library website.
In December 2014 we added:
- Bruce Herald (1906-1920)
- Bush Advocate (1910-1912)
- Hot Lakes Chronicle (1895-1897)
- Inangahua Times (1907-1919)
- Wairarapa Age (1906-1920)
In February 2015 we added:
- Hastings Standard (1896-1920)
- Press (1929-1935)
- Star (1915-1917)
- Westport Times (1868-1874, 1879-1884, 1886)
In May 2015 we added:
- Alexandra Herald and Central Otago Gazette (1902-1948)
- Hawke's Bay Herald (July-December 1894, 1901-1904)
- Samoa Times and South Sea Advertiser (1888-1896)
- Samoa Times and South Sea Gazette (1877-1881)
- Samoa Weekly Herald (1892-1900)
- Samoanische Zeitung (1903-1920)
- Sun (1916-1920)
- Thames Advertiser (April 1897-March 1898)
- Waikato Times (July-December 1887)
- Wairarapa Standard (1867-1887)
- Wanganui Herald (1910-1920)
- West Coast Times (September-December 1878, 1910-1916)
The National Library would like to thank all those organisations that provided the original paper copies to the Alexander Turnbull Library for microfilming.