Wairarapa Daily Times
Browse by date within this newspaper
The first Wairarapa newspapers were published in Greytown. Joseph Payton, a school teacher, was a partner with his father-in-law Richard Wakelin in one of them, the bi-weekly Wairarapa Standard which began publication in 1872. However, when Payton decided Masterton was destined to be the largest town in the valley, he convened a meeting in the more northerly town to discuss beginning a newspaper there. There were several short-lived attempts from the end of 1874, not helped by the premises of two papers being burned to the ground. Subsequently, Joseph Payton, now in partnership with W F Roydhouse and Edward Samuel began, in November 1878, the region’s first daily, the Wairarapa Daily. It absorbed one of the town’s struggling papers.