Waimate Daily Advertiser
The Waimate Advertiser started on the 28 May 1898 as a four-page weekly, and was published free for the first three months. It was founded by Charles Augustus and Harold Wilson, two brothers aged nineteen and seventeen, who were joined a year later by their younger brother George Wilson.
After six months the paper doubled in size and was issued as a weekly penny paper. By twelve months it came out three times a week to match its rival, the Waimate Times. Editorially the paper aimed to be politically independent and described itself as taking an active interest in the social affairs of Waimate and the surrounding district.
In 1908 the paper was taken over by S H Wilson (no relation to the original owners) with Robert Joseph Logan as editor. In 1914 it became a daily and in 1916 it was transferred to Logan and Mrs A K Sargent, who changed the name to the Waimate Daily Advertiser to reflect the earlier change in publication frequency.
In 1921 the paper was sold to the Waimate Advertiser Company, although Mrs Sargent retained the majority interest. The change in ownership again brought about a name change and the paper became the Daily Advertiser. In 1922 the company purchased the rival Waimate Times, leaving the Daily Advertiser as the town's sole newspaper.
The Waimate Publishing Company took over the business in 1939. In 1972 the paper changed back to its former title of Waimate Daily Advertiser, and from 1980 reverted to its original title of Waimate Advertiser. This last change coincided with a change back to being published three times a week. Since 1980 the Waimate Advertiser has become more of a community newspaper, focusing on news and events relevant to its own district.