Waiapu Church Times
The first issue of this monthly newspaper was published in Napier on 1 July 1907 by the Diocese of Waiapu. The joint editors were the Rev. Canon Mayne and the Rev. Canon Tuke, supported by fellow committee members Mr F.W. Williams, Mr C.H. Edwards and Mr. J.B. Fielder. It was available at the price of one penny.
Issued ‘at the express wish of the Synod’, fellow clergy were asked for their co-operation in sending their Parish news regularly every month. This Parish news remained a feature of the Waiapu Church Times, along with Church news from around the world and occasional advertisements.
Only twelve issues were produced; the last issue, dated June 1908, featured a call for support on the front page: ‘The editors would impress upon the clergy and church people of the diocese the urgent necessity of greater support if the paper is to continue.’ One can only conclude that this support was not forthcoming. The Waiapu Church Times was reported as being discontinued in the 1908 Waiapu Synod proceedings.