Waiapu Church Gazette
From 1 July 1910, the Diocese of Waiapu Parish magazine was incorporated into the new Church Gazette. The cost of the new paper was raised to 3 shillings per annum, from two shillings. For this subscribers would received a much larger paper. The Rev. Canon Tuke requested that ‘…all who owe anything for last year’s magazine will promptly remit it to the Vicar, who is considerably out of pocket in his attempt to give the Parish a good Church Paper.’ In fact, only personal financial support from the Bishop of Waiapu, Alfred Averill, ensured its early survival.
Not surprisingly, there was a break in publication for several months after the 3 February 1931 earthquake. The 1 May 1931 issue begins with a letter from the Bishop, outlining the impact of the earthquake on Diocesan property, including the complete destruction of the Cathedral.
The article ‘Synod scuttles ‘Gazette’’ in the issue of 1 November 1945 announced the impending end to publication of the Waiapu Church Gazette. The Gazette was to be amalgamated with the Church and People from Wellington and the Gazette from Auckland. This decision did not meet with the agreement of the author. This was made even clearer in the following and final issue of the Waiapu Church Gazette, 1 December 1945. Particular objection was expressed to the new focus on advertising and making a profit.