Te Aroha News
The Te Aroha News was the first newspaper published in Te Aroha, in the Waikato. The town was relatively late in getting its own newspaper, as it was well served by papers published nearby in Thames.
The first issue was published by HE Whitaker, on 9 June 1883, under the title Te Aroha News and Upper Thames Advocate. The paper was issued weekly. In 1884 ownership passed to John Ilott and the name changed to the Te Aroha and Ohinemuri News.
Over the next 40 years various other newspapers were published in Te Aroha; however none posed a serious threat to the News. The paper absorbed its main competitor, the Te Aroha Mail (1907-1918), in 1918.
In 1913 the Te Aroha News Company acquired the News and continued to publish the paper until 1982. In July that year the company went into receivership and the last issue of the paper came out on 17 September 1982. However, at the end of that month, a new paper with the same name began publishing in Te Aroha. This newspaper merged with the Piako Post in 1986.