Otautau Standard and Wallace County Chronicle
The Otautau Standard was a weekly newspaper started by Frank Hyde in 1905. Hyde was the owner of another paper in the area, the Winton Record. Hyde sold the Standard to John Fisher the next year. The Fisher family remained in charge until publication ceased in 1946. They gave the high cost of labour and plant as the main reasons for closing.
The Standard had a rival in Otautau for most its life. The Otautau Farmer was started by the publishers of the Western Star in nearby Riverton, and ceased in 1939.