The Oxford Observer began weekly publication in 1889. The paper was established by Richard Holman Parish, a prominent local businessman. Parish arrived in Oxford in 1870 and set himself up as a draper. He installed a printing press in his shop for general jobbing work. He was active in many areas of life in the community and was a strong advocate for the Oxford area.
In 1894 Parish’s daughter Laurie Annie became proprietor of the paper. She was still running it in 1901. No issues of the paper survive after August of that year. The paper had certainly ceased by 1903. Richard Parish continued to operate a printing office for many years after this.
Only one incomplete set of the newspaper is known to exist.